Thursday, November 6, 2014



Ninth grade girls should not pretend to be Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP).

One of the first trips we ever took as a family was to Canada. It was just Jennifer, Sydney, Emma, and me. We went to Alberta and back in a period of like three days. I served my mission there, so I was excited to go back and show Jennifer some highlights. One of the things I was never able to do as a missionary was visit the historic fort at Fort McLeod, Alberta. So when we were there with the girls, I decided: now is our chance! I can't remember the cost it was something like $15 a person. I was excited. I thought it was going to be an exciting horse show with the RCMP. Instead, it was a group of ninth-grade girls dressed up as Canadian Mounties. I can't remember all the music, but at one point they were riding to Chariots of Fire. I was getting totally frustrated that I spent money for the junior high horse show and I was about to lose it when Jennifer told me to look at the girls. To them it was the most magical thing they have ever seen. They were so excited by the horses and the music. My expectations had been dashed but this was the greatest thing the girls had ever seen. I learned to relax while traveling, and not to put such a high cost/benefit analysis on every activity. The kids were having a good time that was enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment